– Officers of the Fire Service Unit put off a minor fire incident at INEC headquarters in Abuja – No life was lost or sensitive document was lost to the fire – The fire burnt the curtain in the office of the personal assistant to the chairman There was a fire outbreak at the national headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja on Monday, March 27.
The fire was said to have started from a spark from the air conditioner in the office of the personal assistant to the chairman, The Punch reports
According to report, the fire which started around 12:10pm burnt the curtain in the office of the personal assistant.
It was quickly put out by men of the Fire Service Unit of the commission before it could do a severe damage.
he national chairman of INEC in charge of the south west, Solomon Soyebi, said the fire incident wasn’t a serious one, The Punch reports.
He said it was caused by an electrical fault from an Air Conditioner. “It has been brought under control by men of the fire service,” Soyebi noted.
plusmilang.com earlier reported that the electoral commission suspended 202 personnel indicted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for allegedly receiving N23bn bribe disbursed on the instruction of a former minister of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, ahead of the 2015 general elections. Last week, President Muhammadu Buhari forwarded the names of 27 people as Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to the Senate for approval.