Girl,13, drowns in Rivers flood
A teenage girl, identified as Annabel Ugochi, has drowned in a flood in Umusoya community, in Oyiogbo Local Government Area of Rivers State.
The incident reportedly occurred on Sunday, at about 6:00p.m, around the victim’s residential place.
Plusmila media gathered from community sources that the flood was caused by the contractor working on the Oyigbo axis of the impassable Port Harcourt-Aba Road. The victim’s father, identified as Hycient, said on that fateful day, he returned home in the evening and discovered that Annabel was missing.
He added that after a thorough search, the girl’s lifeless body was found in the night floating on the flood.
Hycient, who was devastated, told newsmen that the remains of the deceased would be buried today (yesterday). According to the natives, the contractor channelled the water into the community without proper drainage.
The people lamented that flood has destroyed their houses and farmland and their lives threatened whenever there is rainfall.
However, residents of Umusoya community have appealed to the state government to intervene urgently, by drawing the contractor’s attention to the havoc caused by the ravaging flood as a result of the ongoing road repairs.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)